Cork tree bark is harvested then boiled in water to soften it and make it easier to work with. Once softened it is cut into thin layers and applied to a cotton/polyester fabric backing. The end result is a soft and pliable fabric with all the benefits of cork.
- 100% Sustainable – cork trees live on average 200 years. Cork bark can be harvested every 7-10 years without damaging the tree. Harvesting the cork also prolongs the life of the tree. The first harvest is taken once the tree reaches 25 years old, but is not suitable for making fabric. Only once the second harvest is gathered is the cork of a high enough quality to be turned into fabric.
- Eco-friendly – as the bark regenerates, the trees absorb up to 5 times more CO2. The methods used in processing the cork is also waste and pollution free. Cork oak tree forests provide homes for many animals, including endangered species such as the Iberian Lynx.
- Vegan – a cruelty free, plant based fabric and the perfect vegan alternative to leather.
- Water resistant – cork is impermeable to liquids and gases meaning water will form beads on the fabric and roll off. This is why it’s used for wine bottle corks!
- Durable – cork is highly durable and similarly to leather, gets better with age.
- Soft – cork fabric feels very soft and smooth.
- Hypoallergenic – processed without the need for harsh chemicals. Cork also repels dust and water making it mould resistant.
- Stain resistant – corks ability to repel dust and water means it does not stain easily.
- Fire resistant – cork bark is naturally fire resistant.
Caring for your cork items
Your cork can be gently cleaned using a soft, damp cloth and some mild detergent. (I personally use a drop of Method washing up liquid as it plant based and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals).
Using just water, or a drop of detergent if needed, gently clean your item using a soft cloth or sponge. The cork is naturally stain resistant but can be damaged if scrubbed too vigourously.
Once cleaned pat with a clean, dry cloth and leave to air dry fully.