I only discovered Deer and Doe patterns fairly recently, and I can’t get enough of them. My most recent make is the Belladone pattern, released in 2012. Certainly not new, but a new one for me.
The panda print quilting cotton I used has been lingering in my stash for years. I promised myself I would stop buying new fabric and ‘shop my stash’ this year. I bought this with no plan on what I would make, I just loved it. Unfortunately, that often means I find it too difficult to ever cut into. So it lingers in the stash for a few years, totally wasted.
Since the Belladone is designed for woven fabrics, I had to make a few tweaks to get the fit just right. It’s still not perfect but it’s definitely wearable, and more importantly, pretty comfortable.
I cut a 42, tapering the skirt out from the waist to a 44 at the hem. The other adjustments I made included:
- a 1.5″ full bust adjustment.
- removing a small 1/4″ wedge from the top back panels, using the same method as Lauren over at Lladybird.
- cutting a wider waistband as the bodice felt slightly too short.
The fit of the bodice is so close to being perfect, but there’s still a bit of a weird fit around the waist at the back. I’ll be working to fix that in the next version.
Pockets! Every dress needs pockets. And these are totally useable too! I added pale pink bias binding to match the flowers in the pattern. It’s not a colour I would normally use, but it matched the flowers perfectly.
I finished the neck, armholes and back panels with the same pink bias binding as the pockets. I trimmed all the seams by 1/4″ before adding the binding.
The zipper is lapped and hand picked. I think the finish at the top could be cleaner and I may move the zip to a side seam next time.
Check out that pattern matching on the centre back seam! It took a while to get right but was well worth it.
I’m really pleased how this turned out. It was one of those projects that I didn’t like at all while I was making it. Now it’s finished though, I love it. Plus everything I used was already in my stash. I’d call this one a win!